Saturday, February 23, 2013

Choose Your Own Adventure Freeform Peyote Challenge







 
Cupid's Folly




I recently joined the Facebook group Freeform Peyote Beading. It was a spur of the moment decision because, truth be told, I've completed only one (1) Freeform Peyote design. Ever. What possessed me to join the group? Several things piqued my interest. First, I didn't know much about the technique and what better way to learn than to dive in, gain knowledge from seasoned beaders and be inspired by the vast talent pool? Second, I like to push myself in new directions. Jewelry design encompasses many techniques ranging from bead stringing to metal smithing and all points in between. More than one technique may be combined to fabricate a design and the more techniques that a jewelry artist commands, the broader the horizons for creating innovative works of art. Third, I love the supportive and generous nature of the beading community! It really helps me to know that someone else tried and succeeded at something where I might have tried and failed. Back to the drawing board I go to figure out what I did wrong, correct it and improve my skill set. Last, my poor, neglected Blog is in serious need of resuscitation! Joining an active group of beaders is the perfect way to breathe new life into the dormant chronicles of my beading adventures.

I had barely introduced myself to the group, proudly displayed my one (1) Freeform Peyote design and been overwhelmed by the level of craftsmanship in other member's designs when 'The Challenge' was announced by Adventure Guides Mandi Ainsworth and Karen Williams. It sounded fun! But it sounded challenging. But exciting!! But there was that nagging feeling that it was going to be hard...I mean challenging. Nevertheless, I volunteered, nervously harboring self-doubts about the wisdom of my choice.

Understandably, I needed a spark of inspiration to jump start my project. To get my Freeform Peyote creative juices flowing, I took a shower. All my most brilliantest ideas occur to me while I'm sudsing up. Also, I sing better than Taylor Swift while I'm showering. So, my brilliant idea was to create a Freeform Open Heart Pendant Using Freeform Peyote. Valentine's Day was approaching so that seemed like the perfect plan. Now for the tricky part: How do I create the heart-shaped pendant? I took pencil to paper and sketched out my design.




I know what you're thinking, "Wow! She chose beading over a career as an illustrator? What was she thinking?!" Yes, it was a tough decision, but I can assure you, ultimately everything worked out for the best. I might add, Taylor Swift should count her lucky stars (and millions!) that I never cut a demo.

I began to string my beads and my little heart began to take shape and grow. Kinda like the Grinch's (it grew three sizes that day!) There was even a background chorus of Whos singing in Whoville...







After the heart was fully embellished (and the Who's singing had simmered down), the next embellishment that needed to be worked into the design was the bezeled Swarovski Crystal Rivoli. At first, it appeared that attaching the rivoli might pose a logistical challenge, but I managed to attach it to the heart in a semi-circle fashion. It nestled into the heart lobe perfectly! The operation was a spectacular success and the patient made a complete and speedy recovery.

In the next-to-final phase of the design process, I tackled the Freeform, embellished chain. I worked the chain in 6" sections and linked them together after all were complete. I attached the chain to the heart between the two lobes and completed the toggle loop closure with a string of peyote stitching.

The last motif and the hardest part conceptually for me, was the arrow toggle. I decided to make it using Tubular Peyote and make notches in one end for the arrow tip to fit. The arrow tip was quickly constructed using brick stitch and attached to the Peyote tube shaft. I added cute feathers using bugle beads and voila! A heart-piercing arrow toggle clasp. Finally, I couldn't resist a little macabre blood squirting out of the tip of the heart, so I added a bit of fringe with Miyuki drop beads.



And there you have it! Cupid's Folly is complete.

This Freeform Peyote Beading Challenge was a blast for me from beginning to end. I managed to escape my 'comfort zone' and venture into new territories. That is what a challenge should be, a challenge to the individual to break out of the box, risk getting a little crazy and  create something a little edgy.

Here is a list of the Choose Your Own Adventure bloggers:

Adventure Guides:




Participants:



































Now back to your regularly scheduled beading program. 

30 comments:

  1. Ok, first of all, I'm crying with laughter, I love how you write! Second, I've got serious peyote envy here! That is a stunning necklace, and such a great idea! Love, love, love the arrow, and I'd really like to make one of those hearts, but *whispers* I don't sing in the shower at all.
    Thanks for a great post and a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Shirley! I'm happy that my scribblings put a smile on your face. Thank you for your compliments on my contribution to the challenge! And DO try singing in the shower...you never know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely blown away by this! The heart and the arrow have wonderful and strong details. Gorgeous and deep and full of feeling. A true piece of Art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I love the freeform heart and it turned out so well and looks exactly like your sketch. :)

    Seriously, the heart is fabulous and the necklace is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW such a clever idea love the necklace. It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an ingenious design! Very original and a little bit quirky :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and clever and gorgeously done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get all my best ideas in the shower, too and sing better than Katie Perry, hehe :) I think your drawing is great and your idea clever. Love the arrow, love the blood. Awesome job, Tammy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, you definitely need to post more often because your posts are a delight to read! This was a hoot, or should I say Whoot?

    I loved the walk through your design process - all the pieces come together perfectly. What a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your description of your bead journey, your creativity shines through your writing, drawing as well as your beading - truly inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tami, what a great blog post! You write really well and I loved the necklace and hearing about your process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your necklace! This came at a time when I could not participate, due to being over-committed, but I'm loving seeing all the wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love where this adventure took you! And I loved your description of the process and the pitfalls along the way -- so glad to have "met" you through this hop! It's a very cool necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute necklace, love your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, I giggled all the way through your post, and I positively ADORE your necklace!!! Gorgeous job, and I loved reading about your process. Thanks for sharing!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an interesting and funny post. You are a good writer, sketching rocks and best of all the beadwork is fantastically unique and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow your post woke me up this Morning with such a fun piece. Great to see your design process and hear about your source of inspiration. Thanks for sharing every word and all the great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this account of your challenge piece and its genesis. I must try unlocking my muse in the way you describe... the poor thing spends too long locked up in the closet of my comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing....what a cool necklace..love the description of your creative process. This was a challenge for me to break out of my comfort zone too, and it was FUN !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic post, really enjoyed reading and your necklace is just beautiful, a work of art. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the process and result you took for your piece very inspiring love the arrow

    ReplyDelete
  22. So unique, beautiful, and beyond lovely. I think this is my favorite piece! amazing for your second piece ever. It gives me something to aim for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tammy, what an awesome design! I love it!
    And it was a lot fun to read about your journey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tammy, you did an absolutely splendid job on this post, and on your piece!

    I loved the Whoville reference, I'm really impressed that you made the heart shape, and the little drops of blood are such a fun finishing touch. I agree with Karen that you should post more often. <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, what a great piece. I really really love this. wELL DONE X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, I love your necklace the colors and the theme very, very pretty.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  27. my first reaction when i saw this was wow! great job it is beautiful hopefully one day i'll beable to do stuff like this without thinking lol love it great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, I love it, and I LOVE the process information and photos...the attention to detail is just SO great! The arrow for example, as a closure...awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh man that is a seriously awesome necklace! So original, so cool and the colors are fantastic. Did I say yet that I LOVE it?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!